Skip to main content

(4) RYAN COOKE, My best friend ever



Everyone who knows me in the England definitely knows that I have a friend called Ryan Cooke, and if my life has any difference from other people, it is also because of him.

It was in the late September of last year I met Ryan in front of the library.
He told me that when I introduced myself in the class, he already decided to make friends with me because instead of explaining why I study at this programme, I said that Taiwanese army sucks and like to drink whisky.

Ok, fair enough. As for me, before we had our first coffee in the Opposite, my impression of him was that he is a tall guy, like to listen to Jazz, dresses like a band player and can drink a lot.
I think that we do exchange our numbers, but for a new comer in the UK like me, it is almost impossible to understand what a native speaker is talking about on the phone at beginning, anyway, thanks god, we can use text.

However, the first coffee with him was not through the phone or text but the coincidence (if there is no destiny).

I was going to the gym and saw a tall guy with a big black coat in front of the library, and I said hi to him then he asked if I want to have a coffee.

Surely I wanted to, not only because I could practice my English but also he seemed like an interesting dude.

The truth is that the first coffee with him was a little bit awkward.
Two men sit on two small chairs (for him it was smaller) and drank coffee with brownie in the afternoon and talked about Buddhism, music and travelling experience.

I could tell that he was trying hard to understand my English and of course, I also used my imagination to complete and understand every sentence he talked to me.

Then the body language was essential. Thanks God again, we are both good at it.

After few texts and conversations in the class, we went for a drink in the town one night instead of coffee and ever since then, we started our drinking session and it is still going on now.

We drank when went down to London together, when I went to his gig, when having a cheap but delicious pizza, when we are in the park, in the pub, in the club, after watching movie, after class, during camping in the morning or in the night and even when we feel hangover. Incredible, but feels good.

It seems that the beer plays an important role in our life, but the beers won’t be so tasty without him.

So we went to many places together, we are a team.

Once we hit a stranger’s house party and turned out to be very popular in the house.
When I passed out in several house parties, he carried me home, or somewhere safer, and I have never seen him pass out yet, although he did get drunk many times.

Apart from being party animals, we went to see the concert, museums and explored the country side as well and went to gym together once...or maybe twice.

He also went to London to watch me to play basketball tournament where he was the only British, awesome! But most of time, we quite enjoyed spending time in the pub to chill out with few pints of beer and talking.

We talked about everything of life at present, past and even future when we drank beer, coffee or tea. From girls, expensive bus tickets to the future, every little thing in my life has switched into the English mode almost 24-7.

It was so cool for me to have a western friend at the beginning of my life in the Britain, kind of fancy stuff for Asian guys, isn't? But then I realized what is really fantastic is not because he can’t speak Chinese (now he can speak my name in Chinese at least), but we can communicate with each other even my English is only capable. With finding similar mind and bridging our spirits together, our friendship is behind any visible boundary. This wouldn’t happen if I didn’t go abroad or, he didn’t ask me for a cup of coffee a year ago.

To be a friend with him also let me understand what is a good friend is that he can do shit things and be crazy with you and help each other on everything when you need him. But the most important thing is that 1 plus 1 can make two people’s life better, more fun and stronger.

Anyway I was going to write something funnier but not an essay-like article, it seems impossible to achieve and maybe I still need him to proofread it for me as usual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

結婚

結婚 這天風裡有比糖果還甜蜜的味道 是幸福為你們的精心佈局 兩千道彩虹也無法詮釋那幾近狂暴的悸動 人生從此不再與影子跳雙人舞 的確,承諾的重量不輕卻是單膝跪下的適當負荷 時間伴隨著騎士的眼神和淬鍊的堅定而閃亮 刻畫在牆上的則是為了一切而存在的存在 與你們錯過的不會再是彼此,並且 一場神聖的儀式將證明即使偶有磨擦如 段落的話語稍不接續的時候 愛依舊是獨特的重力只吸引互相 情感製成的調色盤也會讓生活裡 的悲喜永遠有最新鮮的顏料,於是在 起床後惺忪的看著對方的同時,僅僅 點頭微笑便是世上最美麗的瞬間 這是兩人的時刻 與一段愛情的起點

時間

  時間 時間是海水 因為當人的祖先 從海洋爬上岸 身體感覺很輕盈 不習慣沒有水的壓力 於是就創造了時間 一分一秒的日子 給了你我的人生 像海水壓抑著魚兒 那麼樣的無感的壓力 直到要離去才知道 不能沒有水壓 卻也抓不住時間 不信嗎?呼吸一口 以為是得到氧氣 實際上是無色無味無形的時間 告訴我們自己還活著 就像是群魚漫游在海中 只知道從出生開始 就不能逃離 除非死去